Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Who are you talking to?


The dogs have a habit of waking me up anywhere between 6-7am every morning for the first walk of the day.  As we walk, we encounter a couple of joggers, maybe another dog-walker or two.  And nearly every day, we see someone in their car talking on their phone.  Who are you people talking to at 7am in the morning?  If someone calls me to "talk" that early in the morning, I am going to be pissed.  I don't even want to be awake yet, let alone talk to human beings.

I can't imagine that it's work-related yet that early in the morning.  Is it friends chit-chatting on the drive to work?  That's annoying.  I want my alone time of listening to my music before I have to deal with people.

Who are these people talking to and why do they need to talk to them so damn early in the morning?  It's alarming.

I used to be more of a social butterfly.  I used to love, L-O-V-E, to talk on the phone when I was 14 or 15.  I would talk on the phone every day for HOURS.  Sometimes, a friend and I would not even really talk, but we would watch TV together...on the phone.  Even in my 20s, when I was working a job that I could multitask while on the phone, I would talk to a friend who would be watching TV.  We'd watch "Days of our Lives" together, and by together, I mean that he would watch the show and relay to me what was happening.

But now at 47, talking on the phone is just torture.  Can't you just text me what you want?  No one really calls me anyway except people trying to extend my warranty or sell me insurance.  I keep my phone on silent constantly, because why not?

I don't understand the need to text while driving.  Who are you people needing to talk to so badly?

Maybe I'm just turning into a hermit in my old age, but I just like my alone time now.

You think I wouldn't because I grew up as an only child, but I really like my "me" time.

Are these same people having the 7am conversations the same people who can't go places alone?  There are people who can't eat in a restaurant alone or go to a movie alone.  I never understood that.  If I want to do something or go somewhere, I'll be damned if I deny myself that because I can't find someone to do it with.  And maybe that mentality has conditioned me to prefer my own company to others.  No compromises, no conditions.


No comments:

Post a Comment